National Guard

National Guard Make-Up A Chinese court upholds death sentence for Chinese-Canadian man’s death

A Chinese court upholds death sentence for Chinese-Canadian man’s death

A Chinese judge has upheld the death sentence handed down to a Chinese-born Canadian man who was beaten to death while inside his Canadian prison.

The judge also ordered a public apology from Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and ordered that the man be buried in his native China, the official Xinhua news agency reported.

Chinese authorities had originally sought a life sentence for the 28-year-old, who was sentenced in September.

“The ruling of the court uphold[s] the sentence imposed by the Criminal Court of Justice (CCJ),” a spokesperson for the court told Xinhua.

“This sentence is an irrevocable punishment,” the spokesperson added.

“China is ready to make an appropriate public apology and to make a good contribution to China’s rehabilitation and reintegration process.”

The court sentenced Chen Xiaoyi to death in January.

Chen, who is originally from Shanghai, was convicted of murder and attempted murder in 2014 after he and his wife, Jiang, were caught up in a violent brawl outside their apartment in China’s southern Guangdong province.

Jiang and Chen were also charged with a series of offences, including attempted murder and criminal intimidation.

Jiang was later sentenced to two years in jail, but she was later released in October.

She is now awaiting trial in Canada.

Chen’s case had sparked widespread criticism in China, with the UN and Amnesty International calling for his immediate release.

In September, the court also ordered that Canadian citizens be stripped of their citizenship if they were found to have been involved in the attack.

The court’s ruling came just days after a court in Hong Kong sentenced a Chinese man to death for the 2012 attack.

That man, Zhang Lijun, was also convicted of “grave bodily harm” and sentenced to death.

The attack was a result of a domestic dispute between Chen and Jiang.

Chen had threatened to kill his wife and his daughter and had been planning to kill Jiang’s brother, a Chinese security official told the New York Times at the time.

The two men were arrested by police in August 2012.

They have denied involvement in the killing, but the court has ruled that Chen was responsible.

TopBack to Top