National Guard

National Guard Make-Up Alabama State guard who ‘got caught up in the moment’ dies at 79

Alabama State guard who ‘got caught up in the moment’ dies at 79

A Alabama State Guard who died at 79 after a long battle with diabetes has been buried in his hometown of Birmingham.

He was remembered Saturday as a loyal friend, a hard worker, a devoted father and a devoted friend of Alabama football.

“We’re not here to celebrate the fact that he died,” said Alabama Gov.

Kay Ivey.

“We’re here to mourn the fact he never knew the fullness of his own greatness.”

Alabama State Guard John McPherson was born on Nov. 12, 1934, and his parents, Robert and Mary McPhersons, had grown up in Mobile, Ala.

In high school, McPheredson was a running back, and he spent the next two years playing baseball at Alabama’s college.

McPheredsons mother, Mary, had four children and he was a student at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

In 1965, McPathesons mother moved to Washington state, where she worked as a receptionist at a bank.

He was living in Seattle, Wash., when he was diagnosed with diabetes in 1965.

When he was 16, McParney was diagnosed, and McPhenson was put on a medication regimen to control his condition.

The medication, Metformin, is a type of insulin.

It’s used to help people with type 2 diabetes get blood sugar levels in their blood down.

On July 1, 1967, Mcpathesons doctors prescribed Metformin.

By August 1967, the McPheysons were spending their days at the Alabama State Hospital.

During the summer, Mcparney was a part-time student at Alabama.

But by August, his health began to deteriorate.

At the same time, his mother was diagnosed.

Mary McPhedson died on Aug. 8, 1973, at age 84.

She was buried at Alabama Memorial Gardens.

A memorial service was held at a church in Mobile on Saturday, but it was canceled after a protest from the McPathenses.

Mitch Kestenbaum, McPatrick’s son, said his father had no intention of giving up.

“We’ve been doing this for 45 years,” he said.

“He always had a smile on his face.

There were days when he didn’t want to do anything, but then there was always something else to do.”

Kestenbaums parents, Bob and Donna, have two daughters, Katie and Emma.

“I’m devastated,” said Katie McPheed.

“I’ve never been able to tell him what happened.”

Mitch said he was going to keep trying.

After McPhea was diagnosed in May 2018, his diabetes started to improve.

Kestens father said his son was a devoted family man and had never taken anything for granted.

“He was just such a great person,” he told The Associated Press.

“When you have something like diabetes, it’s a big deal.”

Klestenbaum said he thought his father would die when he returned to Alabama, but he was able to keep going.

“That’s what he was about.

He always wanted to be here,” Kestens son said.

And in a way, his father’s death has always been a reminder that life goes on.

“McPherts funeral will be held at 8 p.m.

Monday at the Moore Chapel at the Alabamian Memorial Chapel.

TopBack to Top